It is a well-known fact that even Columbus had conversion problems. He miscalculated the circumference of the earth using Roman miles instead of nautical miles, and unexpectedly ended up in the Bahamas on October 12, 1492, instead of Asia. Our point here is that measurements are important. Which is why, when it comes to choosing the right supplier for your metrology calibrations, no half measures can be taken.
But with many calibration providers across the UK all seemingly promising a similar service, we’ve broken down all the important information you should look for – and what you should steer clear of – when it comes to choosing a calibration partner.
First stop: gauging how satisfied you are with your current calibration supplier
The task of arranging metrology equipment calibrations might be a small part of the role of quality and production teams; however, if a supplier doesn’t quite live up to expectations, the only place you will be setting sail to is back to the drawing board…
Accurate and timely calibration plays a crucial role in product quality and regulatory compliance – and ultimately your company’s success and reputation. For this, finding the right calibration partner is extremely important. So, whether you’re happy with your current calibration provider or you know there is room for improvement, these are the important factors that you need to consider:
- Turnaround times – Consider firstly how long you can afford to have your equipment out of process for calibration. You will find that most calibration suppliers will offer a ‘guaranteed’ turnaround time of less than 7 days, but make sure you also read the small print. Establish and agree clear delivery expectations with the supplier (make sure you also factor in travel time, which can often add two additional days!).
- Accreditations and certificates – These are important indications of quality. Check that your supplier has the correct accreditations to provide the level of calibration you need. You should also find out how and when calibration certificates are supplied after calibrations are complete.
- Flexibility – Every business is different – and no two businesses will have the same calibration schedule. Can your current provider work around your schedule? Can they provide a flexible service suitable to your needs, e.g., plan on-site calibrations around your shut down periods? Put convenience high on your priority list.
- Supplier capability – This is where a calibration partner can really add value. Outsourcing your calibration needs to a metrology focussed calibration provider that uses high-precision processes and state-of-the-art equipment can ensure the optimum accuracy of your metrology equipment. They can also provide fully traceable calibration certificates backed by internationally recognised quality management processes, including ISO17025.
- Communication – How will your supplier keep you updated on the status of your equipment? Some suppliers will use an asset management system, which provides full transparency from when your equipment arrives at the lab, to when it’s ready to return to your site. Find out how they will communicate this important information – and how easy is it to speak to someone in case any problems arise.
- Location – Even if your business isn’t located in a remote area, it’s worthwhile finding out where your nearest calibration engineer is. Some calibration suppliers have small teams, meaning resource is often maxed out and you could be kept waiting for longer periods for the calibrations you need.
Calibration Select – Metrology calibrations that work for you
Partnering with an accredited service provider can provide greater confidence when it comes to ensuring the accuracy of your metrology calibrations. Calibration Select from Avery Weigh-Tronix has been developed with our customers to provide a unique metrology calibration service.
Why partner with us?
- 5-day turnaround time – We’re the UK’s only calibration supplier to offer a true 5-day service, door to door.
- Range of testing capability – We specialise in calibrating a range of electrical, force, pressure, temperature and torque equipment and mass weights, both onsite and at our state-of-the-art calibration lab.
- Flexibility – Our expert engineers are available to carry out on-site calibrations 7 days a week. With our network of over 150 multiskilled engineers located across the UK, you won’t be kept waiting for on-site calibrations.
- Keeping you compliant – Our automated reminders make sure you’ll never miss a calibration again. We’ll supply a digital calibration certificate 4-hours after your calibration takes place.
- Fully accredited – We can perform calibrations traceable to both national standard and UKAS accredited.
To learn more about how we can work with you to manage and simplify your unique metrology calibration needs, reach out to a member of our team – we’d love to hear from you!